In May 2013, youth in Rigolet, Nunatsiavut engaged in a two-week participatory video project to create a film about growing up and living in Rigolet.
Facilitated by Jordan and Curtis Konek (Konek Productions) from Arviat, Nunavut, Marilyn Baikie and Inez Shiwak (‘My Word’: Storytelling & Digital Media Lab) from Rigolet, and Joanna Petrasek MacDonald (McGill graduate student & IK-ADAPT researcher), this workshop provided students from Northern Lights Academy with training in video design, camera techniques, interviewing skills, and editing.
The workshop concluded with the completion of a 17 minute film, edited entirely by the students and a community screening. As Joanna Petrasek MacDonald explained,
The film is about the lives of the youth in Rigolet and full of footage of all kinds of awesome activities that they do in and around town. Not one seat at the screening was empty, there were lots of laughs and smiles, and the young filmmakers were glowing with pride. Since the screening we have received an overwhelming amount of positive feedback from the students, parents, teachers, and community members.
For a ‘behind the scenes’ look at the making of the Life in Rigolet participatory video, check out Joanna’s video:
This project would not be possible without the amazing support and guidance of the following organizations, groups, and individuals:
- Charlotte Wolfrey (AngajukKâk) and the Rigolet Inuit Community Government
- Tom Mugford (Principal) and the staff and students of Northern Lights Academy
- ‘My Word’: Storytelling and Digital Media Lab
- Nunatsiavut Department of Health and Social Development
- Climate Change Adaptation Research Group at McGill University
- Inuit Mental Health and Adaptation to Climate Change (IMHACC) project
- Inuit Knowledge for Adapting to the Health Effects of Climate Change (IK-ADAPT) project
- Indigenous Health Adaptation to Climate Change (IHACC) project
- First Air and Air Labrador
Finally, a very special thank you to Jordan and Curtis Konek, from Konek Productions, for lending their video expertise and making this all possible!